On Monday February 13th, the Advanced Imaging Society hosted their 8th Annual Lumiere Awards at the Steven J. Ross Theater on the Warner Bros. Studio Lot in Burbank. In attendance were guests and honorees including Jon Favreau, Roy Taylor, Robert Stromberg, Ivan Reitman, Maria Bello, Ed Begley Jr., Elijah Allan-Blitz, and Co-founder of HTC Cher Wang.
Filmmaker and VR Creator, Jon Favreau, was honored with the Society’s Harold Lloyd Award, presented last year to Marvel’s Victoria Alonso.
Cher Wang of HTC Vive was honored with the Sir Charles Wheatstone Award for exemplifying exceptional forward movement in the VR Sciences. Her award was presented by AIS-VR Society President Jim Chabin and actress Maria Bello.
Google Earth VR was presented the Century Award by Ed Begley Jr. for VR in service of environmental enrichment.
Select Photos from 8th Annual Lumiere Awards
8th Annual Lumiere Award Winners
- HAROLD LLOYD AWARD: JON FAVREAU
- SIR CHARLES WHEATSTONE: CHER WANG (HTC) and HTC Vive
- CENTURY AWARD: GOOGLE EARTH VR
- BEST 3D LIVE ACTION FEATURE: BILLY LYNN’S LONG HALFTIME WALK (SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT)
- BEST 3D ANIMATED FEATURE: ZOOTOPIA (WALT DISNEY PICTURES)
- BEST STEREOGRAPHY LIVE ACTION: DOCTOR STRANGE (MARVEL STUDIOS)
- BEST STEREOGRAPHY ANIMATED: KUBO AND THE TWO STRINGS (FOCUS FEATURES)
- BEST 3D SHORT ANIMATED: INNER WORKINGS (WALT DISNEY PRODUCTIONS)
BEST 3D SHORT LIVE ACTION: WAR OF GAUL (COW PROD)
- BEST USE OF 2D TO 3D CONVERSION: ROGUE ONE: A STAR WARS STORY (STEREO D)
- BEST 3D SCENE OF THE YEAR: DR. STRANGE (MARVEL STUDIOS)
- BEST VR EXPERIENCE: TILT BRUSH (GOOGLE)
- BEST VR FILM EXPERIENCE: GHOSTBUSTERS VR EXPERIENCE (SONY PICTURES ENTERTAINMENT/THE VOID)
- BEST VR ANIMATION EXPERIENCE: DEAR ANGELICA (OCULUS STORY STUDIO)
- BEST VR MUSIC EXPERIENCE: JOSHUA BELL VR (SONY PLAYSTATION)
- BEST VR GAME: JOB SIMULATOR (OWLCHEMY LABS)
- BEST 360 SERIES: INVISIBLE (DOUG LIMON/30 NINJAS/CONDE NAST/JAUNT VR/SAMSUNG)
- BEST 360 LIVE ACTION: NOMADS: SEA GYPSIES (FELIX & PAUL STUDIOS)
- BEST VR SPORTS EXPERIENCE: FOLLOW MY LEAD: THE STORY OF THE 2016 NBA FINALS (OCULUS & M SS NG P ECES)
- BEST VR DOCUMENTARY: THE CLICK EFFECT (ANNAPURNA PICTURES/HERE BE DRAGONS)
- BEST VR JOURNALISM EXPERIENCE: TAKE FLIGHT (NEW YORK TIMES)
- VR BRANDED EXPERIENCE: 360 TOUR OF THE SHINOLA FACTORY WITH LUKE WILSON (REEL FX)
- BEST HIGH DYNAMIC RANGE: LIVE BY NIGHT (WARNER BROS.)
- BEST HDR ANIMATION: FINDING DORY (PIXAR)
- BEST 3D DOCUMENTARY: AMAZING MIGHTY MICRO MONSTERS 3D (ATLANTIC PRODS./COLOSSUS PRODS.)
- BEST 3D DOCUMENTARY SHORT: MYSTERIES OF CHINA (GIANT SCREEN FILMS/TOP PROD./EXPANDED EYE ENTERTAINMENT)
- BEST UHD: MIYAKO ISLAND’S THERAPUTIC BEACHES (SONY PCL INC./VICOM INC.)
- BEST 3D FEATURE JURY PRIZE: MOJIN – THE LOST LEGEND (WANDA MEDIA)
Advanced Imaging Society
The Advanced Imaging Society was formed in 2009 by our industry’s creative stakeholders including The Walt Disney Studios Motion Pictures, DreamWorks Animation (DWA), Sony, Paramount, IMAX, Dolby, Panasonic, MasterImage and others to advance the creative arts and sciences of stereoscopic 3D.
With chapters in the U.S., China, Japan, Canada, the E.U., India and the U.K., the organization serves thousands of professional participants in over 20 countries active in improving the arts and technologies of advanced imaging. The organization hosts professional education seminars and awards throughout the world. For more info, please visit http://www.advancedimagingsociety.com/
Photo credits: Ben Shmikler, AB Images